Update:Pablo’s death toll hits 459 — NDRRMC

0
452 views
Pablo Casualties in Compostela Valley
Bodies of flash flood victims lie on the ground as villagers look for their missing relatives after Typhoon Bopha hit New Bataan in Compostela province | Photo by ABS-CBN
Pablo Casualties in Compostela Valley
Bodies of flash flood victims lie on the ground as villagers look for their missing relatives after Typhoon Bopha hit New Bataan in Compostela province | Photo by ABS-CBN

MANILA, Dec. 8 (PNA) — The death toll due to typhoon “Pablo” reached 459, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Saturday afternoon.

The disaster agency said that the number of injured people also climbed to 464 while the missing persons reached 532.

The NDRRMC said most of the fatalities were drowned or were pinned by fallen trees or collapsed houses and only 16 persons are unidentified.

The biggest number of dead, totaling 416 so far, was reported from Region 11 (Davao Region). The rest included 12 in Region 10 (Northern Mindanao), 11 in the Caraga Region, eight in Region 7 (Central Visayas), three in Region 8 (Eastern Visayas) and Region 4-B (Mimaropa) and one each in Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) and Region 6 (Western Visayas).

The NDRRMC said typhoon “Pablo” has affected 1,089,599 families, or 5,375,325 individuals in 2,209 villages in 229 municipalities and 34 cities in 30 provinces.

They were in Regions 4-B (Mimaropa), Region 6 (Western Visayas), Region 7 (Central Visayas), Region 8 (Eastern Visayas), Regions 10 (Northern Mindanao), Region 11 (Davao Region) and Caraga.

Of the figure, 82,017 families or 391,880 people are currently staying or housed in 297 evacuation centers.

At least 50 municipalities and provinces in Regions 4-B, 7, 10, 11 and Caraga have been declared under a state of calamity.

As of 10 a.m. Saturday, NDRRMC said that the Office of Civil Defense in Cordillera Autonomous Region (CAR) is on Blue Alert Status, continuously monitoring their area of responsibility and reported all major roads are open to traffic and no untoward incidents for the past 8 hours.

The NDRRMC added that power supply in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan and water supply in Valencia City are 90 percent restored while power blackout is still experienced in the province of Surigao del Sur particularly in Hinatuan, Bislig and Lingig areas; Rosario, Bunawan, Trento, Sta. Josefa, Veruela, Loreto and Esperanza in the province of Agusan del Sur

Cost of damage to infrastructure, agriculture and private properties was estimated at P4.1 billion.

The NDRRMC said the Department of Agriculture (DA) reported that some 26,160 hectares of crops in 18 provinces from six regions in Mindanao (Regions 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and ARMM) were affected. The report does not cover the damages to banana and coconut, which are still being assessed.

Deemed lost were 3,149 metric tons (MTs) of palay, 1,523 MTs of corn and 250 MTs of high-value crops (rubber, palm oil, fruit trees and vegetables).

So far, the NDRRMC said a total of P41.49 million in relief assistance had been provided for the affected families. (PNA)
RMA/CLTC

Comments

comments