Loren Legarda is a Filipino broadcast journalist, politician, TV host, environmentalist and philanthropist. With politician of Visayan ancestry, she is notable as the only female to top two senatorial elections (1998 and 2007).
For the last 30 years, Loren Legarda devoted her work to ensure that the future generations of Filipinos will live in enabling environments where our natural resources are used in ways that are sustainable and equitable; where social justice, human rights, peace and cultural diversity are priorities; and where opportunities for quality education and decent employment to all hard-working citizens free them from poverty.
Loren Legarda is chiefly responsible for the passage of the following laws, which she authored:
- Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010 (RA 9994)
- Barangay Livelihood and Skills Training Act (RA 9509)
- Magna Carta for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (RA 9501)
- Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Act (RA 9262)
- Magna Carta of Women (RA 9710)
- Anti-Child Labor Law (RA 9231)
- Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act (RA 9208)
- Philippine Ear Research Institute Act (RA 9245)
- Universal Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention Act of 2009 (RA 9709)
- Food, Drugs, Cosmetics and Devices Administration (FDCDA) Act of 2009 (RA 9711)
- Philippine Tropical Fabric Law (RA 9242)
- Eid’ul Fitr Holiday Law (RA 9177)
- Tourism Act of 2009 (RA 9593)
- Clean Air Act (RA 8749)
- Environmental Awareness Education Act (RA 9512)
- Renewable Energy Act (RA 9513)
- Solid Waste Management Act (RA 9003)
- Climate Change Act of 2009 (RA 9729)
Among many vital pieces of legislation, Loren Legarda also co-sponsored the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act of 2010 (RA 10121).
Now on her second term as senator, Loren chairs the Committee on Climate Change and the Oversight Committee on Climate Change; the Committee on Foreign Relations and the Legislative Oversight Committee on the Visiting Forces Agreement; and the Committee on Cultural Communities.
Senator Loren Legarda has long been hailed as a “Green Crusader” for her staunch advocacy of environmental issues and concerns. For the last 30 years, she has devoted her work to ensure that the future generations of Filipinos will live in enabling environments where our natural resources are used in ways that are sustainable and equitable.
Born: Lorna Regina Bautista Legarda on January 28, 1960 (age 52) in Malabon
Alma mater: Assumption College, University of the Philippines
- Assumption College (Primary to High School); graduated valedictorian
- University of the Philippines; graduated a cum laude
- Journalist, RPN 9 and ABS-CBN (1985-1998)
- Senator, Philippine Senate, 1st term (1998-2004)
- Senator, Philippine Senate, 2nd term and 2010 elections (2007-present)
Sources: wikipedia.org, lorenlegarda.com.ph