Senator Francis Joseph “Chiz” Escudero is one of the 24 incumbent Senators of the Philippines, under the administration of President Benigno Simeon Aquino III. Now, he is the leading candidate for the Vice Presidential post in the upcoming May 2016 National Elections.
He studied at University of the Philippines Diliman from kindergarten up to college. This is also where Chiz obtained his degree in Law. Later, he studied at Georgetown University and received a master’s degree in International and Comparative Law.
He entered politics as a law professor, at a very young age of 28, while he was still practicing law. He won his first election as Representative of the First District of Sorsogon in 1998. During which, he also served as Assistant Majority Floor Leader. He was re-elected twice in 2001 and 2004, and served as House Minority Floor Leader from 2004-2007.
Escudero first impressed the public with his charisma as one of the youngest members of the Congress, and with his remarkable command of the Filipino language. He became even more famous when he led an impeachment movement against then President, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. Because of this, he gained himself a seat in the Senate in 2007 garnering the second highest number of votes.
While in Senate, he made good of his campaign promises to be the “voice of the people”. His first attempt in fulfilling this promise is deemed successful. His effort to gain tax exemption and additional exemptions for the low-earners is of great help for the less privileged who can’t afford to pay taxes due to low wages and other financial reasons. This law is now known as Republic Act no. 9504 entitled “Tax Exemptions for Minimum Wage Earners and Increased Tax Exemptions.”
He also contributed to the passage of RA 9576 which increased the maximum insurances coverage of bank deposits to Php 500,000.
While he headed the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights in 2007, Escudero was responsible for the passage of RA 10158: Anti-Vagrancy Law; RA 10353: Anti-Enforced or Involuntary Disappearance Act; and RA 9745: Anti-Torture Act.
At the same year, he was the head of Joint Oversight Committee on Ecological Solid Waste Management Act, Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Clean Air Act and the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources.
Because of his outstanding performance and unwavering dedication to serve the public as a youth leader, he was named one of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines in 2005. Two years later, he was the only Filipino to be recognized as Asia News Network’s Asia’s Idol. In 2008, in recognition of his outstanding professional accomplishments and potential to contribute in the shaping of world future, Chiz received a prestigious award by the World Economic Forum who addressed him as a Young Global Leader.
Since he entered politics 18 years ago, Escudero continued to lead surveys as one of the most trusted public servants with high approval ratings. And of course, this is reflected in the pre-election Vice Presidential poll as he topped both surveys conducted recently by the Social Weather Stations and Pulse Asia. There is no doubt that he, among all other contenders, has the greatest chance of getting the Vice President position for the next six years.
Date of Birth: October 10, 1969
Spouse: Love Marie Payawal Ongpauco-Escudero (Heart Evangelista)
Children: Maria Cecilia, Joaquin Cruz
Parents: Salvador Escudero (deceased), Evelina G. Escudero
- Master in International and Comparative Law, Georgetown University Law Center,Washington D.C.,1995-1996
- Admitted to the Bar, 1994
- Bachelor of Laws, U.P. College of Law, 1989-1993
- B.A. Political Science, U.P. Diliman, 1985-1989
- High School, U.P. Integrated School, 1981-1985
- Elementary U.P. Integrated School, 1975-1981
- Senator, Senate of the Philippines, 2007 to present
- Chairman, Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights
- Representative, 1st District of Sorsogon, House of Representatives, 1998-2007
- House Minority Floor Leader, 13th Congress
- House Assistant Majority Floor Leader 11th Congress (July 1998 - Nov. 2000)
- Commander, Philippine Navy Reserve Command
- Partner, Escudero Marasigan Sta. Ana Vallente & Villareal Law Office, February 1995 - Present
- Lord Chancellor, Alpha Phi Beta, 2009-present
- Member, Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi of the University of the Philippines
- Most Admired TV Personality, Anak TV Seal, 2008
- Young Global Leader, World Economic Forum, 2008
- Asia’s Idol, Asia News Network, 2007
- TOYM Awardee in Youth Leadership, 2000
- Legislator of the Year, (Philippine Media Research and Progress Report, Inc.) 2000
- Outstanding Public Servant of the Year (National Media Statistics Research News Publication), Aug. 2000
- Most Outstanding Congressman of the Year (Philippine Youth Association for Public Affairs, Inc.) February 2002
- Most Outstanding Solon (League of Press Associations of the Philippines.) 1998, 1999
- Top Congressman (Pillars of the New Republic) 1999, 2000, 2001
- Youth Achiever in the Government Sector (Development of the Filipino Youth) June 1999
Sources: chizescudero.com, Chiz Escudero’s Facebook Profile Page