Francis Joseph G. Escudero, popularly known as Chiz Escudero, is a member of the Philippine Senate since 2007. He previously served as a member of the Philippine House of Representatives from the 1st District Sorsogon, and as the Minority Floor Leader of the 13th Congress of the Philippines on his third and last House term.
Chiz Escudero was elected to the Senate with the second highest tally of votes, slightly behind Loren Legarda.
He heads the Senate Committees on Justice and Human Rights, Joint Oversight Committees on Ecological Solid Waste Management Act, Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Clean Air Act, and Committee on Environment and Natural Resources.
Chiz Escudero was born on October 10, 1969, and studied at the University of the Philippines from kindergarten to college where he took up law. In 1994, he passed the Philippine Bar and went on to obtain a Masters degree in International and Comparative Law at Georgetown University in 1996.
As a practicing lawyer and teacher, he decided to enter politics in 1998 and was elected Representative of the 1st District of Sorsogon and was voted by his peers as Assistant Majority Floor Leader.
He was re-elected twice and was House Minority Floor Leader during his last term.
His name has national recall, and this was proven by the fact that he nearly topped the senatorial elections in 2007.
Today, he heads the Senate Committees on Justice and Human Rights, and Environment and Natural Resources.
This man’s meteoric rise into the nation’s consciousness as a leader has earned him several distinctions, including becoming a TOYM (Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines) awardee in recognition of his selfless dedication as a youth leader.
He has not gone unnoticed; in 2007, he was the only Filipino named as Asia News Network’s Asia’s Idols. He has also been honored by the prestigious World Economic Forum as a Young Global Leader of 2008 in recognition of his professional accomplishments, commitment to society and potential to contribute to shaping the future of the world.
Just when everyone is asking what more lies ahead for him, here he is consistently leading surveys as the most trusted official of the land with high approval ratings.
- Master in International and Comparative Law, Georgetown University Law Center,Washington D.C.,1995-1996
- Admitted to the Bar, 1994
- Bachelor of Laws, U.P. College of Law, 1989-1993
- B.A. Political Science, U.P. Diliman, 1985-1989
- High School, U.P. Integrated School, 1981-1985
- Elementary U.P. Integrated School, 1975-1981
- Senator, Senate of the Philippines, 2007 to present
- Chairman, Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights
- Representative, 1st District of Sorsogon, House of Representatives, 1998-2007
- House Minority Floor Leader, 13th Congress
- House Assistant Majority Floor Leader 11th Congress (July 1998 - Nov. 2000)
- Commander, Philippine Navy Reserve Command
- Partner, Escudero Marasigan Sta. Ana Vallente & Villareal Law Office, February 1995 - Present
- Lord Chancellor, Alpha Phi Beta, 2009-present
- Member, Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi of the University of the Philippines
- Most Admired TV Personality, Anak TV Seal, 2008
- Young Global Leader, World Economic Forum, 2008
- Asia’s Idol, Asia News Network, 2007
- TOYM Awardee in Youth Leadership, 2000
- Legislator of the Year, (Philippine Media Research and Progress Report, Inc.) 2000
- Outstanding Public Servant of the Year (National Media Statistics Research News Publication), Aug. 2000
- Most Outstanding Congressman of the Year (Philippine Youth Association for Public Affairs, Inc.) February 2002
- Most Outstanding Solon (League of Press Associations of the Philippines.) 1998, 1999
- Top Congressman (Pillars of the New Republic) 1999, 2000, 2001
- Youth Achiever in the Government Sector (Development of the Filipino Youth) June 1999
Sources: wikipedia.org, Chiz Escudero’s Facebook Profile Page